OAS online course for Caribbean teachers:
Quality in Basic Education (7th. Special Caribbean Edition)
Course Title: Quality in Basic Education (7th. Special Caribbean Edition)
Study Venue: The course will be delivered entirely online (Internet) through the Educational Portal of the Americas Virtual Classroom and requires a weekly dedication of 15 hours as well as basic computer skills. (To learn about the Rules of Procedure of the PortalVirtual Classroom please click here)
Course start date: March 28th, 2012
Course end date: June 20th, 2012
Registration Deadline: February 29, 2012 at 05:00 PM (Washington D.C.)
Course Duration: Twelve (12) weeks
Language: This course will be offered in English
The Course Description (see course outline here)
This course offers an introduction to the philosophy of total quality education. Its objective is to provide primary and secondary-level school teachers and administrators with the conceptual and methodological tools necessary to improve basic educational services using a team-based approach to organizational development.
Primary or secondary level school teachers, principals or administrators, and teacher trainers, in any of the English-speaking Caribbean countries.
This online course is delivered under the academic and technical supervision of tutors. The tutors guide participants throughout the duration of course by:
1. helping them to access course content;
2. suggesting reading and reference materials;
3. analyzing and evaluating assigned activities; and
4. resolving technical problems and answering questions.
In addition, the tutors provide students with a weekly analysis of participant responses and make individual interventions when necessary.
At the conclusion of the course it is hoped that participants will have acquired knowledge of the conceptual and methodological tools necessary to improve basic educational services, as well as the ability to apply their newfound knowledge and cognitive skills to their institutional settings.
Participants who successfully complete the course requirements will receive an OAS Certificate for the successful completion of the course.
Cost and Payment Method
Total tuition cost for the course is USD 400 (four hundred dollars).
The SG/OAS will provide financial aid of USD 275 (two hundred seventy five dollars) to participants who fulfill all the posted requirements. The final tuition cost for selected participants to financial aid will be USD 125 (one hundred twenty five dollars).
Requirements to Apply for Financial Aid:
Participants must meet the following requirements:
- Be citizens or permanent residents of any OAS member country.
- Be currently employed as a primary or secondary level school teacher or administrator, or teacher trainer, in any of the English-speaking Caribbean countries.
- Possess basic computer skills (use of email, Word documents, etc.)
- Be fluent in English
- Be able to dedicate approximately 15 hours per week for course activities.
- Have a functional personal e-mail account (e-mail accounts cannot be shared)
- Be a registered user in the Educational Portal of the Americas (www.educoas.org)
- Have unrestricted access to a computer with Internet with following minimum technical specifications
Method of Payment:
For this course, the only method of payment is with an international credit or debit card (Visa, MasterCard or American Express) and using an Internet secure page*